Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Love School Supplies

Don't you just love school supplies? Ever since I was a little girl, I loved school supplies. This week we went and bought school supplies for Ashlynn to go to 5th grade and Ainsley to go to Preschool but somehow my cart did not consist of just things that were on their lists. Who can resist Crayons for .25 and Markers for $1.00 not to mention glue sticks -- can you really have enough glue sticks??? What about notepads, pencils and and then don't forget the colored pencils. This year I did a little better (I still have a stock of crayons, pencils and markers from last years shopping trip). Last year as I was checking out the lady in front of me looked at my basket and asked if I was a teacher. I giggled a little bit and said no, but thank you for the compliment. I have lots of good friends who are teachers.

I remember going to visit my dad at work and sitting at his secretary's desk and looking at the pens, highlighters, post-it-notes and liquid paper (do they even sell liquid paper anymore -- they used to have all kinds of colors). I thought how wonderful it would be to be a secretary and use all of these neat office supplies. One of the greatest presents I remember receiving (not the greatest but you get my drift) was when my dad brought home a huge box of colored pencils and markers. I had every color you could imagine. I thought that the most wonderful jobs I could ever have would be to work at a stationery/office supply store or at a Hallmark store (I also have a love for stationery and note cards but that is another entirely different blog note).

I love the season fall and one of my favorite movies is YOU'VE GOT MAIL. Do you remember Meg Ryan walking along the streets of New York in late September going to her book store and saying that she loved the fall with school supplies and freshly sharpened pencils. That is me to the tee. I hope you fellow "school supply lovers" will enjoy this time of year with me.

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny because I just did a blog about Fall and back to school time and the 'You've got mail' movie.
    The quote about a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils was the very first thing I wrote about in the post. That movie totally celebrates fall. Too funny. Great minds think alike!
    I enjoy your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! I'm so glad I found your blog. Your girls are so adorable and growing up so fast. I loved your post about the school supplies. I was buying some a few weeks ago and got the same question from the checker, about being a teacher. So funny. I told her that no I was not a teacher but just had a slew of kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, we should start a support group. I, too, have bought more school supplies than necessary for 1 preschooler and was also asked the teacher question. LOL.

    ReplyDelete